Like many people, I love music. I love many different types of music. It’s safe to say that my musical tastes are all over the place, especially when it comes to Halloween and horror songs. As you’ll see with this list, I have everything from some classics to hard rock. With that being said, enjoy!
- Welcome to My Nightmare– Alice Cooper- I’m a huge Alice Cooper fan and he’s going to show up more than once on this list. This song introduces the listener to a nightmare that Steven (Cooper) is having and is just creepy and awesome. This is the opening song on his debut album, which shares its name. The whole record is one big concept album. Let’s just say that he means”Welcome to My Nightmare” quite literally. Just put the album on and listen to it all the way through.
- Lost Boys– The 69 Eyes- This song is a hard rock tribute to one of the greatest vampire movies, The Lost Boys. The band’s nickname is the “Helsinki Vampires” and a lot of their music has a horror, gothic rock feel to it.
- Monster Mash– Bobby “Boris” Pickett- This is just the classic Halloween song, bringing all the monsters together for a crazy mash!
- Dead Man’s Party– Oingo Boingo- This is not just one of the definitive Halloween songs, but also one of the definitive 80’s songs. I mean, it’s a dead man’s party. Who could ask for more?
- Witch Doctor– David Seville- Another classic Halloween song about a man visiting a witch doctor for help with his love life. The technique used to speed up Seville’s voice for the part of the witch doctor was later used to create Alvin and the Chipmunks.
- Feed My Frankenstein– Alice Cooper- To me this is not just a great Halloween/horror song, this is one of Cooper’s absolute best.
- Dragula– Rob Zombie- I worked at Universal Studios Hollywood for six years. During my time there, I worked Halloween Horror Nights as well. Every year that I worked the event, this was one of the main songs that was played repeatedly in the park. In my mind, it’s forever associated with Halloween. I also just love the song in general.
- Ghostbusters– Ray Parker Jr.- This one shouldn’t need any explanation, but I do have a question- Who you gonna call?
- Hell– The Squirrel Nut Zippers- This is one of my all time favorite songs. It’s catchy, descriptive, and fun. You can dance to it. You can party to it.
- Hell’s Grinning Ghost– Monte Revolta and His Band of the Living Dead- This is an amazing mash-up of Hell by the Squirrel Nut Zippers and Grimm Grinning Ghosts from the Disney ride, The Haunted Mansion. Monte Revolta is also a dead lounge singer whose shows shouldn’t be missed.
Well folks, that’s my list. Hopefully you have enjoyed these songs and will hopefully add them to your Halloween playlist, or even to your year round music.